Saturday, May 23, 2015

Astrology Decoded: Are astrology predictions really correct.

In television, we can find many TV programs that talk about astrology i.e. predict your future etc. based upon date of birth.
Most of us even today, especially our parents and family believe in astrology, when ever marriages are fixed, or when ever you plan to build a house etc.

Many of intellectuals will argue that astrology is science. I was reading article such as http://innovativeastrosolutions.com/ where it says astrology is 50% science and 50% mystic and give some scientific explanation to it.

But let me define what science is.
Oxford Dictionary defines science as “Knowledge about structure and behaviour of the natural and physical world, based on the facts that you can prove, for example by experiments”

More detailed explanation would be:
http://www.sciencecouncil.org/definition

So science first relies on observation or collecting the data, same as astrology is doing.  So what is the data in astrology:
It takes account of date of birth.  Then its calculates the planetary positions with some set of rules and generate some other data. So far so good.

But now comes the catch:
Taking these data to predict (i.e. future). But do we test it like any other scientific method whether the prediction is correct or not. I think no. We just blindly believe on the astrologers saying.

Here I would give some predictions or suggestions given by the astrologer:

So conversation starts like this.
A person comes to the astrologer talks about his problem.
e.g.
1) My husband business is not going well, give some solutions?
2) I lost my Rs. 30,000 mobile phone in bus. Guruji please help me in finding it.
3) My son is poor in education, not getting job, what shall I do.
Then astrologer will ask the date of birth, name, birth place etc. and then say something about planetary positions like Sani, Rahu, Ketu, Sukra etc.
After that astrologer will start giving suggestions such as:
According to your husband kundali,  some of his friend/ family member is creating hindrance in the business. Or its likely that one of the employee in your business is unfaithful.

So, look at these statements, is he really predicting something or just predicting something that is likely to happen. “Some of his friend is creating hindrance” : It's a likely statement, most of the time parents and friends don't believe on your business plan, so what great thing he is talking about. Also there is a chance that one of the employee is unfaithful, we can't trust every one.

Then he gives some nonsense solutions or sometimes logical solutions.
Nonsense solution would be wear a Ruby ring in your hand.
A logical solution would be invest money properly in the market and pay attention to the cash flow.

Can they predict something concrete. I completely doubt. Even if they predict something concrete e.g. you will die at this time, this place, I completely sure it would be false in 99.9% of time. I am leaving 0.1% because there is always a change to come something true based on statistics.

Please leave a comment based upon your experiences with astrology.

My suggestions to the NEWS channels and Govt would be to stop promoting such astrological claims.
If they believe in astrology, then prove it.